Selous Game Reserve Family Safaris 170
The Selous is the largest wildlife protected area in Africa, almost four times that of Serengeti. It covers almost 5% of Tanzania’s total area and is larger than countries like Switzerland and Slovenia. It possess a diverse set of landscape which range from volcanic spring to lakes to river channels of Great Ruaha and Rufiji.
The Selous National Park is the largest National Park in Africa. Four times the size of Serengeti - covering more than 5% of Tanzania's total area and larger than Switzerland, it possesses a diverse landscape from hot volcanic springs, sporadic lakes, channels from the Great Rhaha and Rufiji rivers. Selous is also accompanied by a rich history and is named after British explorer and hunter in East Africa, Frederick Courteney Selous who was killed in World War I in the Beho region of this reserve region of the reserve. The area has remained one of the untouched gems of Tanzania's national parks and game reserves
There are large populations of elephant in the park. Approximately 70 % (60 000) of Tanzania's elephants are found in this reserve. Other well known animals include the hippo (40 000 inhabit the river systems), depleted numbers of the black rhino, large herds of buffalo (over 160 000), the area's famous wild dogs and 5 000 lion patrol the Reserve.
Also found here are Nyasaland gnu, brindled gnu, hartebeest, Greater Kudu, sable antelope, eland, reedbuck, bushbuck, waterbuck, warthog, zebras, giraffe, wildebeest, leopard, cheetah are rare. There are over 350 species of birds including African snipe, Bataleur eagle, Crested lark, Green-headed oriole, Knob-billed duck, herons, kingfishers, geese and Southern Ground hornbill. Reptiles such as crocodiles and various snakes and lizards are also found.
- Size and Location: 55 000km² in the south-east running in almost five regions of Tanzania
- When to visit the park: June - November (Game Viewing) January - April (Bird Watching, rainy)
- Climate: Tropical climate, hot and humid all year round. Temperature ranges from 13°C - 40°C
- Rainfall: Ranges from 750mm in the east to 1250mm in the west
- Altitude: Varies from 100m (northeast) to 1 200m (southwest) above sea level
- Largest National park in Africa (4 times size of Serengeti)
- Large game concentrations including huge herds of buffalo, elephant and large wild dog population
- UNESCO World Heritage Site
Arusha Park Day Trip (from: US$ 175 p/p)
7 Days Machame Route (from: US$1,730 p/p)
6 Days Tanzania Oryx Safari (from: US$ 1,250 p/p)
Lake Manyara Day Trip (from: US$ 189 p/p)
8 Days Lemosho Route (from: US$ 1,900 p/p)
5 Days Tanzania Eland Safari (from: US$ 1,813 p/p)
6 Days Rongai Route (from: US$ 1,700 p/p)
8 Days Tanzania Bushbuck Safari (from: US $ 2,550 p/p)
Lake Chala Day Trip (from: US$ 55 p/p)
6 Days Marangu Route (from: US$ 1,600 p/p)